Environmental Scans explore current and emerging trends and issues, by utilizing a structured online search of relevant websites and sources. Environmental scanning is particularly useful in the health field, as it provides a quick way of understanding a topic, or for informing strategic planning and decision making; for example:
- Compiling evidence on new and emerging health technologies
- How are other organizations dealing with a particular issue?
- Learning more about data collection
- What sort of data are other organizations collecting?
- How are they collecting it?
- What are they using the data for?
- Are there any emerging trends or issues?
- What programming and interventions do other organizations use for certain diseases?
- How do other groups screen for a disease?
- What are the treatment pathways for various organizations?
These searches can be done at the local, national or international level, and sources of information may include: Governmental reports, Health technology assessments, Clinical guidelines, and Policy documents from professional organizations or associations.
In addition, to provide further information and context, Environmental Scan results may also include: interviews, focus groups with clinical experts or key stakeholders, or online surveys targeted to clinical experts or key stakeholders.
Interested in learning more about Environmental Scans? Read more about how Medlior can support your next research project with Environmental Scans or contact us to set up a meeting with our team!